Sports

Americans ‘selfish’ to go ahead with US Open – Kyrgios

Sport

Australian Nick Kyrgios says the United States Tennis Association is being "selfish" by pressing ahead with the U.S. Open on its original dates from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.

FILE PHOTO: Tennis – Australian Open – Fourth Round – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia – January 27, 2020. Australia's Nick Kyrgios reacts during his match against Spain's Rafael Nadal. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

Share this content

Bookmark

SYDNEY: Australian Nick Kyrgios says the United States Tennis Association is being "selfish" by pressing ahead with the U.S. Open on its original dates from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.

Multiple media reports on Monday said the USTA would confirm the Grand Slam tournament would go ahead without fans despite New York City still recording hundreds of new COVID-19 cases every day.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Novak Djokovic, Ash Barty and Simona Halep have all indicated they would have concerns about playing the tournament under the health protocols designed to keep them safe.

Kyrgios, who has been in lockdown in Australia since the pandemic brought a halt to the ATP Tour, appeared more concerned about having to undergo 14 days of self-isolation upon his return home from Flushing Meadows.

"People that live in the U.S. of course are pushing (for) the Open to go ahead 'Selfish'," the world number 40 posted on Twitter.

"I'll get my hazmat suit ready for when I travel from Australia and then have to quarantine for two weeks on my return."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Kyrgios also slammed the ATP Tour as selfish earlier this month for pressing ahead with plans to play the U.S. Open while the virus had not been contained and with the streets of U.Read More – Source